Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an American multinational biotechnology product development company, created in 2006 by the merger of Thermo Electron and Fisher Scientific.
Job Title : EHS Specialist I
The Hazard Communication Specialist supports all Thermo Fisher business divisions by completing hazard assessments, preparing hazard communication documents (safety data sheets and labels), assisting with safety data sheet distribution, and maintaining product information systems for knowledge management and compliance assurance.
The right candidate will have experience providing regulatory support for both internal and external customers, and is comfortable working closely with internal Product Management, Sales, and Project Management teams. We are looking for an individual with 3-4 years of experience in the Regulatory, Product Stewardship or EH&S field, with an emphasis on hazard communication requirements. Knowledge of domestic and international transportation classification is also required.
- Prepare globally compliant GHS format Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and container labels for Thermo Fisher’s commercial and experimental products
- Communicate with Thermo Fisher R&D staff to ensure detailed compositional and physical property data needed for the product’s hazard assessment are provided.
- Work with Thermo Fisher toxicologists to ensure product’s hazards are adequately evaluated and addressed on the SDS and labels as needed.
- Responsible for examining product formulation and documentation necessary for proper hazardous characterization
- Determine U.S. and International transportation hazard classifications.
- Understand laws and regulations (e.g. OSHA, GHS, REACH) governing SDS authoring, downstream chemical distribution, and hazardous chemical management within the Environmental Health and Safety industry
- Maintain product updates in Thermo Fisher data repository (Agile)
- Assist with management of SDS distribution tool.
- Requires a minimum of 3-4 years of relevant experience in Hazard Communication, experience with GHS, CLP-REACH and hazard assessments.
- Bachelor’s degree in Toxicology, Chemistry, Biology or other life sciences; In lieu of degree a minimum of 3-4 years’ experience with SDS authoring or experience with product formulation development and chemistry or refining operations will be considered.
- Requires strong analytical skills and ability to accurately manage large amounts of detailed information.
- Ability to work comfortably in advanced MS-Excel and MS-Access.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team atmosphere and to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to learn complex databases
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Able to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical personnel
- Promotes understanding of customer requirements and expectations
- Demonstrated ability of problem solving and decision making
- Experience working with multiple customers
- Reprioritizes work quickly to meet changing demands.