Chemical Engineering Job at Pfizer – Apply Online Now!
Principal Scientist – BRD Process Modeler
Locations: India – Chennai
Time Type: Full time
Posted on: Posted Today
Job Requisition ID: 4895450
The drug-substance process-modeling team in Bioprocess Research and Development (BRD) has a mandate to develop digital tools and computational models to support the development of high-quality drug substance processes for manufacture of biotherapeutics. This team is seeking a (postgraduate level MS or PhD) expert process modeler for a Principal Scientist level job opening to develop new computational tools and system level models to support development and characterization of manufacturing process. The successful candidate will use modeling and simulation techniques to solve pharmaceutical industrial research problems related to manufacturing with special emphasis on hybrid modeling (data driven + mechanistic) and process monitoring and control. This full-time position is based in Chennai, India.
- Work with Pfizer project scientists to understand the challenges and needs when developing cell culture, in vitro transcription (IVT) or purification drug-substance processes for mRNA or recombinant proteins.
- Using a variety of computational modeling techniques, develop predictive tools and models for cell culture, IVT or purification process steps in drug substance processes.
Modeling techniques include (but not necessarily limited to): Data driven modeling, machine learning and AI technologies applied to process modeling, statistical techniques, process models and flowsheets (e.g., gPROMS, ASPEN), computational fluid dynamics (CFD), and first-principles/mechanistic models.
- Work with other Pfizer scientists to apply and implement modeling tools into project workflows.
- Be able to work independently, with minimal supervision, to define the problem statement, then develop and execute a modeling work plan to solve the issue.
- Identify opportunities to use engineering knowledge and computational tools to help solve project challenges.
- Communicate and present results internally at meetings and, on occasion, at external forums.
- Present scientific results to a diverse audience through data analysis and visualizations.
- Support Pfizer’s key technology platforms: fedbatch and continuous manufacturing, via computational modeling.
- Work with external partners (e.g., universities, research organizations) and vendors (e.g., software companies) to execute and deliver well-defined modeling projects.
- A post-graduate qualification (MS or PhD) degree in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Process Control Engineering, Pharmaceutical Engineering, Biotechnology, or related discipline with a focus on data-driven or mechanistic modeling.
- Experience of 3+ years in the pharmaceutical, chemical, process, or related industry, or experience of 3+ years as post-doctoral researcher in an academic institute.
- Strong background in numerical methods, programming, and mathematics. Graduate research must be focused on computational modeling of energy/chemical/physical processes with emphasis on data-driven or mechanistic modeling.
- Experience with computational techniques such as: data driven modeling, open-source machine learning and AI technologies applied to process modeling, statistical techniques, population balance modeling and mechanistic modeling.
- Understanding of biological functions such as protein production, central metabolism, DNA transcription is required.
- Working knowledge or understanding of cell culture processes, IVT processes and/or purification processes (for proteins and mRNA) is required.
- Strong ability to identify opportunities to apply modeling to develop drug products.
- Excellent organizational skills: ability to manage several projects simultaneously and deliver results in a timely manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: work effectively as part of cross functional teams and embrace teamwork.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills: must be able to communicate ideas and results with colleagues with diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated track record of publications, presentations, and/or patents.
- Experience with modeling biological systems preferred.
- Proficient in fundamental engineering/physical concepts such as mass, momentum, and energy transport phenomenon, and a mathematical ability to setup and solve linear, non-linear, and differential equations.
- Strong programming/coding skills and experience with numerical techniques is required.
Proficient in programming using some standard language: C/C++, Python, R, MATLAB, etc.
- Must be familiar working in a high-performance-computing environment (Linux based).
- Experience with data analysis and visualization packages (e.g., Spotfireor Tableau) is desirable. Strong statistical skills are also preferred.
Work Location Assignment: Flexible
Keywords: Chemical Engineering Job, Pfizer, Principal Scientist, Process Modeler, Computational Modeling, Manufacturing Process, Chennai, India, Postgraduate Degree, Data-Driven Modeling, Mechanistic Modeling, Numerical Methods, Programming, Mathematics, Biological Functions, Cell Culture, IVT, Purification Processes, Organizational Skills, Interpersonal Skills, Communication Skills, Modeling Biological Systems, Programming Skills, Numerical Techniques, High-Performance Computing, Data Analysis, Visualization, Statistical Skills.