Khorana Program for Scholars
About the Company
The Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India, Indo-U.S. Science and Technology Forum (IUSSTF), and WINStep Forward have partnered to support the prestigious Khorana Program for Scholars named in honor of Dr. Har Gobind Khorana. Dr. Khorana won the Nobel Prize in 1968 for his work at the interface of Chemistry and Biology while a member of the University of Wisconsin-Madison faculty. The Khorana Program provides Indian students with research opportunities at leading U.S. universities over the summer of 2024 for a period of 10-12 weeks.
The broad objectives of the Khorana Program for Scholars are:
- Provide exposure to world-class scientific research facilities
- Nurture the next generation of scientists and technologists to build long-term R&D collaborations
- Enable post-graduate students to pursue higher education and research-based careers
- Promote capacity building in frontline areas of biotechnology and bio-quantitative sciences
Eligibility & Funding
Pre-final year students enrolled in the following programs at recognized institutions of higher education in India are eligible to apply:
- B. Tech., M. Tech., B.Sc., M.Sc., B.E., M.E., M.S., Integrated B. S-M.S., B.V. Sc., M.V. Sc., B. Pharm., M. Pharm., MBBS., and Master in Medical Science and Technology (MMST)
- Biotechnology and allied areas (including agricultural, food, health, biomedical sciences, and interdisciplinary areas like Computational Sciences, Big Data, Machine Learning, etc.)
First-year, final year, and PhD students are NOT eligible to apply. Applications in subject fields other than those specified above will not be considered.
Applicants should have:
- Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 8.0 or higher, OR
- Percentage: 80% and higher, OR
- Minimum 65% and higher if the applicant is an MBBS student
For complete Application Guidelines, refer to the Resources Section.
The Program support covers:
- Round-trip Airfare
- Health Insurance
How To Apply
Applications should be submitted using our Online Application Portal for Visitation Programs. Hard copies and electronic copies of the application forms will not be accepted.
Online Form Submission
Step 1 Sign in through the Online Application Portal for Visitation Programs. (Use the link given on the top right hand corner of the webpage).
Step 2 Verify your account using the link sent to your registered email id. Please check your spam/junk folders in case the mails are not received in your inbox from [email protected]
Step 3 Login to the Online Portal with the registered Email Id. Please remember your user id and password for future references
Step 4 Click “Apply for – Start Application”
Step 5 Fill in the required details in the form,
Step 6 You may preserve the entered information using the Save button given at the bottom of the form.
Step 7 You may retrieve the saved information using your login credentials and submit the form upon completion.
Step 8 You may download the PDF of your completed application after submission. All online applications will receive an automatic email verifying receipt of your application. The PDF format of the application can also be downloaded using the link sent to your registered email id after submission. Please note your Application ID for future references.
Forgot Password: In case you forget your account password please click on Forgot Password?’ option on the login page. An email with the link to reset your password will be sent to your registered email ID. Please reset your password and login to your account.
Filling your applications
- Before applying, please read the detailed guidelines at https://iusstf.org/documents/35627/42091/Khorana%20Program%20for%20Scholars-Guidelines-2024
- The form must be completed by all applicants in English; please ensure that your respective form is complete and filled to the best of your knowledge before clicking ‘Submit’. Applicants would not be able to change or edit their forms after submission. Separate requests for editing any part of the application form will also not be considered.
- A separate application form must be completed for each program for which you apply. You may choose to apply for more than one visitation program, provided that you fulfil the eligibility criteria.
- Please note that fields marked with * are mandatory, please enter the necessary information in these fields
- Do not use capital letters unnecessarily to enter information in the form. Use only where required
- In the event of the applicant providing false or misleading information he/she will be asked to forfeit the internship/fellowship.
- Please enter your personal details correctly which will be used for all documentation purposes under the respective program.
- The address that you provide will be used for all correspondence. Any change of address after submission of the application needs to be communicated to the respective program officer without fail.
- In the sections “Statement of Purpose” and “Research Experience” please give as much information as possible to enable us to evaluate your application.
- All documents should be scanned and uploaded in the prescribed format.
- Supporting documents should be provided strictly according to the check – list mentioned in the application form.
- In case you do not have a passport, kindly apply for one and select ‘Applied for’ in the application form.
- If you are a first year Masters student and awaiting current results, please use your final year graduation marks to apply.
- The recommendations need to be on the official letter head of the referee with their ink signature and stamp (if any). If they are comfortable sharing the letters with the candidate; it can be uploaded with the application form. If not, the referees may directly e-mail it to [email protected] with the candidate’s name, institute/university clearly mentioned in the subject line, well before the submission deadline.
- One of the referees should be your teacher/tutor. In case you have completed a training/internship in any lab, a reference from your supervisor there would be preferred.
- Any supporting document emailed to [email protected] after the submission deadline will not be considered.
Submission Deadline: 31 October 2023
Indo-US Science and Technology Forum
Email: [email protected]
Keywords: Khorana Program for Scholars, research opportunities, higher education, biotechnology, scientific research, Indian students, U.S. universities, application, eligibility, funding. Subscribe to Rasayanika for the latest chemistry and Pharma job openings, follow us on Facebook and Telegram and subscribe to our youtube channel for the latest updates on chemistry and Pharma jobs and much more.