The European Screening Centre Newhouse is a drug discovery/chemical biology group located at Biocity Scotland, Newhouse, Lanarkshire. Staffed by scientists from the University of Dundee the Centre consists of biology and medicinal chemistry groups involved in all aspects of early stage drug discovery including assay development, hit discovery, hit validation and characterisation and hit to lead development. A primary component of these activities is for the Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI) European Lead Factory, a major European project established with the aim of developing new lead compounds for drug discovery and chemical biology projects in the public and private sectors.
The European Screening Centre at Newhouse is now recruiting for a highly motivated Drug Discovery scientist to join the hit characterization team. The successful candidate will have a track record of delivering biological data in Drug Discovery Projects. They will report to the Head of Biology at Newhouse. Excellent within the lab they will plan, develop and carry out a range of biological assays in addition to providing important scientific input in cross-disciplinary project teams. Primary activities for the group are to devise screening strategies and then develop and run in vitro assays todetermine primary and off-target activity using biochemical and cell-based methods.
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Developing cell-based and biochemical assays for hit discovery and to support medicinal chemistry
• Screening and profiling novel compounds
• Designing screening cascades and proposing new screening strategies
• Liaising with key project stakeholders and providing scientific leadership
• Identifying and implementing improvements in the processes of assay development, screening and hit validation
• Carrying out data analysis and relevant quality assurance protocols
• Designing and performing detailed mechanism of action studies
• Keeping appropriate records and complying with all appropriate legislation.
• Producing high quality reports supporting milestones and deliverables.
• Maintaining a high standard of safe working by adhering to local and institutional health and safety policies.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate or possess the following:
• Broad experience of in vitro plate based assay development and screening, including familiarity with a majority of common technologies and techniques.
• Understand screening compromises, methods of assessing quality, pros and cons of different assay technologies. Able to demonstrate an understanding of principles of compound triage.
• Expertise in the use and quality control of key equipment associated with compound screening in biochemical and cell-based assays and preferably experience with robotics and automation.
• Experience in the evaluation interpretation and reporting of data in accordance with high quality scientific practice.
• Familiarity with software for data capture, analysis and presentation.
• A first or second degree or equivalent in biochemistry, pharmacology or other relevant biological discipline
• A PhD or at least 3 years’ experience working in drug discovery either in academia or industry is essential
• Competency in a range of assay techniques including biochemical and cell-based assays
• Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
• A demonstrated ability to work in an organised manner and to standard operating procedures is essential
• Experience of working with lab automation and developing automated assays
• An ability to be proactive, productive and to work effectively in teams is required. The successful candidate will be a flexible multi-tasker with a commitment to quality and scientific rigour.
This position is available for a fixed period until the end of 2017.
Biocity Scotland at Newhouse has modern laboratory facilities and state-of-the-art equipment specifically designed for drug discovery. It is located at the heart of the central belt in Scotland with excellent links to Glasgow and Edinburgh and easy access to areas of outstanding natural beauty providing an excellent location to live and work.
|Job Title||Drug Discovery Scientist (Biology)|
|College/SASS||School of Life Sciences|
|School/Directorate||Biological Chemistry and Drug Discovery|
|Grade||Grade 7 (£30,738 – £37,768)|
|Closing Date||11 April 2016|