PhD Admissions – Chemistry January 2018 Session @ IISER Tirupati
PhD Admission – IISER Tirupati January 2018 Session
The PhD programme at IISER Tirupati was initiated in August 2017. We invite applications from prospective candidates for admission to the programme starting January 2018.
IISER Tirupati admits students to its doctoral programme in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth & Climate Sciences, and associated inter-disciplinary areas of research. The programme involves a combination of coursework, teaching assistantship along with a major research component.
Students with a Master’s degree in Science / Mathematics or a four-year Bachelor degree with at least 60% marks (aggregate) are encouraged to apply to our PhD programme. In addition to the qualifying degree, we expect the students to have qualified a national examination such as CSIR-UGC NET/GATE/JEST/JGEEBILS, etc. depending on their area of research interest. Students will be selected to the PhD programme based on their performance in the interviews, which will be conducted once eligible candidates are shortlisted.
Please note that the precise eligibility criteria for January 2018 admissions may vary from department to department and are announced in the links given below. Information about individual faculty profiles and areas of research can be obtained from the IISER Tirupati website. The broad areas of research in each department includes the following:
Eligibility Criteria for Various Departments:
- Students with minimum 60% marks in aggregate (overall percentage; not only in majoring subject) or CGPA 6 out of 10 point scale (55% or equivalent CGPA in aggregate for SC/ST and PD candidates) in Master’s Degree in any branch of Science: Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics/Biology or equivalent. Candidates with B.E/B.Tech/B.Pharm/M.E/M.Tech/M.Pharm degree satisfying the above criteria of marks can also apply. Additionally, the candidate MUST have qualified any ONE of the following exams:-
- Qualified National Eligibility Test (NET) with VALID* CSIR-JRF/UGC-JRF
- CSIR/UGC NET-LS (Date of passing should be from Year 2015 / 2016 onwards)
- INSPIRE-Ph.D. fellowship (Should possess Provisional Selection Letter at the time of Interview)
- JEST/GATE/GPAT qualified*
* The scores/ranks MUST be valid at least till January 01, 2018
- IISER BS-MS (All IISERs) Dual degree students (CGPA >= 7.0)
Only online applications will be accepted. Applicants can submit their forms for the respective departments in the following links:
Earth and Climate Sciences
The candidates must carefully fill and submit the online application form on or before November 5, 2017.
After the last date, all applications will be screened and candidates selected for interviews will be intimated by email.
All communication with candidates will be by email only.
Kindly check this website for periodic updates.
In case of any application-related queries, please contact the respective departments at:
with your application number mentioned in the subject line.
- Selection will be based on interviews of the short-listed candidates.
- Relaxation of eligibility criteria for SC/ST and PD applicants will be as per Government of India norms. Candidates belonging to reserved category will have to submit relevant certificates, if selected.
- Applying does not automatically guarantee that a candidate will be shortlisted for interview. The respective departments may use additional criteria (based on academic performance and/or performance in the national level tests) in order to shortlist candidates for interviews depending on the number of applications received.
Application Deadline – on or before November 5, 2017.