IIT JAM Exam 2023 – Eligibility, Registration, Deadlines
IIT JAM 2023 official notification announced. IIT JAM 2022 Notification – Eligibility, Dates, Application Process, Deadline. Interested candidates, check out all the details on the same below:
- Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati is the Organizing Institute for JAM 2023.
- JAM 2023 is open to all nationals (Indian/Foreign) and there is no age restriction.
- JAM 2023 is a Computer Based Test to be conducted in SEVEN Test Papers at the
- Test Papers will have three objective type of questions: (i) Multiple Choice Questions
(MCQs), (ii) Multiple Select Questions (MSQs), and (iii) Numerical Answer Type (NATs)
- Candidates may appear in ONE or TWO Test Paper(s).
- Candidates qualifying in JAM 2023 are eligible to apply for admission to over 3000 seats
in IITs for the academic year 2023-24. No additional evaluation process, such as
suitability test or interview, is required for admission to the programmes in Admitting
Institutes under JAM 2023.
- JAM Scores are used for admission to programmes such as M.Sc., M.Sc. (Tech), M.Sc.-
M.Tech. Dual Degree, MS (R), Joint M.Sc. – Ph.D., M.Sc. – Ph.D. Dual Degree, and
Integrated Ph.D in various institutes.
- JAM 2023 Scores will be used for direct admission to over 2000 seats for counseling
through CCMN in NITs and other CFTIs.
- JAM 2023 scores are also used by JNCASR, IIPE, IISc, IISER Bhopal, IISER Pune for
admission to postgraduate programmes.
- JAM 2023 Examination will be conducted over 100 Cities in India.
Joint Admission test for Masters (JAM) has been established as a benchmark for the undergraduate level science education in the country since 2004 – 05. The objective of JAM is to provide admissions to Post-Bachelor’s Degree Programmes and to consolidate Science as a career option for bright students across the country. These programmes offer high-quality education in their respective disciplines, comparable to the best in the world. The curricula for these programmes are designed to provide the students with opportunities to develop academic talent leading to challenging and rewarding professional life. The curricula are regularly updated at the IISc and IITs. The interdisciplinary content of the curricula equips the students with the ability to utilize scientific knowledge for practical applications. These programmes are open to all eligible students, irrespective of their nationality. The medium of instruction is English for all the above-mentioned programmes.
Important Dates for JAM 2023
|Commencement of ONLINE Application
on JAM 2023 Website
|September 7, 2022
|Last Date for Submission of Online Application||October 11, 2022
|Availability of JAM 2023 Admit Cards
|January 10, 2023
|Date of JAM 2023 Examination||February 12, 2023
|Declaration of JAM 2023 Results||March 22, 2023
Note: The dates are tentative and subject to change.
2. GENERAL INFORMATION
- Candidates seeking admission to select postgraduate programmes for the academic year 2023-24 must appear in JAM 2023 Examination. There is no age restriction.
- JAM 2023 Examination will be held on February 12, 2023 (Sunday).
- JAM 2023 Examination will be conducted as a Computer Based Test in SEVEN Test Papers, namely, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Economics, Geology, Mathematics, Mathematical Statistics, and Physics. The syllabi are given in Annexure I.
- To apply for admission to the desired programme, a candidate is required to qualify in the relevant Test Paper, and satisfy the Eligibility Requirements (ERs) and Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) of the respective Academic Programme and any other requirements of the Admitting Institute.
- The candidates who have either completed or will be appearing in the final examination of their qualifying degree in 2023 are also eligible to appear in JAM 2023. By qualifying in JAM 2023, candidates can apply for admission subject to the conditions that: (a) all parts of their undergraduate programme shall be completed by the date of registration of the Admitting Institute, and (b) proof of having passed the qualifying degree with required eligibility, as specified by the Admitting Institute, should be submitted by September 1, 2023.
- Admission shall be given as per All India Rank (AIR) in each Test Paper of JAM 2023, the reservation policy of the Government of India, and the availability of seats.
- JAM 2023 is open to all nationals (Indian/Foreign). For admission, foreign nationals are required to satisfy the rules and regulations of the Admitting Institute pertaining to foreign students. For further details, they are advised to contact the concerned Admitting Institute.
3. ADMISSION PROGRAMMES
JAM Score is used for admission to various postgraduate programmes such as (i) M.Sc., (ii) M.Sc. (Tech.), (iii) MS (Research), (iv) M.Sc. – M.Tech. Dual Degree, (v) Joint M.Sc. – Ph.D., and (vi) M.Sc. – Ph.D. Dual Degree, across multiple disciplines by premier institutes across the country. Admissions to various programmes using the JAM 2023 Score can be divided into two categories:
JAM 2023 scores will be used for admission to over 3000 seats in postgraduate programmes at 21 IITs for the academic year 2023-24. For candidates satisfying the ERs, MEQs and other necessary requirements, JAM 2023 Scores will be used to admit the candidates without any additional interview or written test. Refer Annexure II and Annexure III for details on the number of seats, MEQs and various programmes at the participating IITs. Annexure IV provides the same MEQs and seat matrix in a consolidated format.
Seat Matrix and MEQs in Annexure – II, III & IV are tentative and are subject to change based on the requirements of the Admitting Institutes. The Seat Matrix and MEQs as published in the Admission Brochure would be final.
Result Sharing Institutes
JAM scores will be used for admission to over 2000 seats for postgraduate programmes such as M.Sc. and M.A. at various NITs, IIEST Shibpur, SLIET, DIAT through Centralized Counselling for M.Sc / M.Sc. (Tech.) Admissions (CCMN). There are no additional written tests or interviews for admission to candidates qualifying JAM and satisfying the eligibility and special eligibility requirements. Refer to https://ccmn.admissions.nic.in/ for additional details.
In addition, JAM 2023 scores will be used for admission to the four Integrated Ph. D. Programmes and two M.Sc. Programmes at Indian Institute of Science (IISc). IIT Kharagpur will use JAM 2023 scores for Joint M.Sc. – Ph.D program in Chemical and Molecular Biology. IIT Kanpur will use JAM 2023 scores for MS in Economic Sciences. Additional details can be directly obtained from the respective institute.
JAM 2023 scores will also be used by various other institutes such as Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Bhopal (IISER Bhopal), Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Pune (IISER Pune), and Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy (IIPE). Additional details can be directly obtained from the respective institute.
JAM 2023 Organizing Institute will coordinate the admission process of only the Admitting Institutes and the qualifying candidates can apply for Admission after the JAM 2023 examination through https://jam.iitg.ac.in. For admissions to Result Sharing Institutes, candidates will have to directly approach the respective Institute / admission body.
IIT JAM Exam 2023
4. TEST PAPERS & PATTERN OF TEST PAPERS
JAM 2023 Examination will be conducted in SEVEN subjects, also referred to as Test Papers; Biotechnology, Chemistry, Economics, Geology, Mathematics, Mathematical Statistics, and Physics. The medium for all the Test Papers is English only.
JAM 2023 Examination for all the Test Papers will be conducted as a Computer Based Test (CBT) where the candidates will be shown the questions in a random sequence on a computer screen. The duration of the examination will be of THREE hours. Eligible PwD candidates may be given one- hour compensatory time and the assistance of scribe for the examination as per the guidelines of Government of India (Refer Section 9). There will be a total of 60 questions carrying a total of 100 marks. The entire paper will be divided into three sections, A, B and C. All sections are compulsory. Questions in each section will be of different types as given below:
Section – A contains a total of 30 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) involving 10 questions of one mark each and 20 questions of two marks each. Each MCQ has four choices out of which only one choice is the correct answer. Candidates can mark their answer by clicking one of the choices. A wrong answer will result in negative marks. For each wrong answer to 1 mark questions, 1/3 mark will be deducted and similarly for each wrong answer to 2 marks questions, 2/3 mark will be deducted.
Section – B contains a total of 10 Multiple Select Questions (MSQs) carrying two marks each. Each MSQ is similar to MCQ but with the difference that MSQ may have one or more than one correct choice(s) out of the four given choices. The candidate is awarded full credit only if all the correct answer(s) and no wrong answers are selected. Candidates can mark the answer(s) by clicking the choice(s). There is no negative marking or partial marking for MSQ.
Section – C contains a total of 20 Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions involving 10 questions of one mark each and 10 questions of two marks each. For NAT questions, the answer is a signed real number, which needs to be entered using the virtual numeric keypad displayed on the monitor. No choices will be shown for NAT questions. There is no negative marking for NAT.
- In all sections, questions not attempted will result in zero mark. There is no provision for partial marking.
- The candidates are required to select the answer(s) for MCQ and MSQ type questions using the mouse.
- The answer for NAT questions must be entered using a virtual numeric keypad. The keyboard of the computer will be disabled.
- There is a provision for using online virtual calculator. Candidates are not allowed to bring their own calculators.
- A scribble pad will be provided for rough work. Candidates have to write their name and registration number before using it. The scribble pad has to be returned at the end of the examination.
- The examination will end automatically after the stipulated time.
- Candidates are required to adhere to the code of conduct specified in Annexure V.
- Candidates can also take a mock examination through a ‘Mock Test’ link that will be made available on the JAM 2023 website. Question Papers of the last three years are also available on JAM 2023 website.
5. TEST SCHEDULE AND FEES
The Test Paper schedule of JAM 2023 is given in Table 1.
Table 1: JAM 2023 Test Paper Schedule
|Examination Date||Session||Test Papers and Codes|
|February 12, 2023 (Sunday)||Forenoon (FN)
9.30 am to 12.30 pm
2.30 pm to 5.30 pm
Mathematical Statistics (MS)
A candidate can appear in either ONE or TWO Test Paper(s). However, a candidate can only appear in two Test Papers if they are not scheduled in the same session (see Table 1). The details of the application fee are given in Table 2.
The details of the application fee are given below. The application fee is non-refundable.
Table 2: Application Fee for JAM 2023
|Gender / Category||Fee Amount|
|One Test Paper||Two Test Papers|
|Female (All Categories) / SC / ST / PwD*||₹ 900||₹ 1250|
|All Others||₹ 1800||₹ 2500|
*PwD: Person with benchmark Disability
Candidates who have wrongly entered the Category or Gender will be allowed to change the Category or Gender on the application portal available at https://jam.iitg.ac.in with an additional fee as per Table 3. All such candidates are required to pay the additional fee online as applicable, on or before October 31, 2022.
JAM 2023 Application Portal Open – Eligibility, Registration, Deadline, Procedures
6. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Candidates can apply for JAM 2023 only through JAM Online Application Processing System (JOAPS) available through https://jam.iitg.ac.in from September 7, 2022 to October 11, 2022. Candidates have to first register on JOAPS, by providing their name, a valid e-mail address, an active mobile number and setting a password. Upon successful registration, candidate’s Enrolment ID and OTP will be sent to the candidate’s e-mail address and mobile number. The candidate needs to use this Enrolment ID or e-mail address along with the password for submitting the application. Candidates are advised to keep the Enrolment ID and the password safe and confidential.
JOAPS provides an online interface to the candidate for interacting with the JAM 2023
Administration. With this interface, a candidate can:
- Apply for the examination online.
- Upload photograph, signature, and other documents like certificate (for SC / ST / PwD)
- Pay the application fee through any of the electronic payment modes.
- Check the status of the application form such as Received, Under scrutiny, Accepted, Defect status, Status after rectification, Rejected with valid reasons, and Admit card ready for download.
(i) Candidates are strongly advised to fill the application form on their own. If someone else is filling the application on behalf of the candidate, the candidate must ensure that the data submitted are correct.
(ii) Candidates must give an e-mail address that they frequently use, as all communication to the candidate for JAM 2023 will be sent to this e-mail address.
(iii) The candidate must not use somebody else’s e-mail address and only one candidate can be registered with one e-mail address.
(iv) Similarly, candidates should provide their personal mobile number and be advised to use the same number until the results are declared because most communication may also be sent via SMS.
A candidate should submit only one application form even if the candidate wants to appear for two Test Papers. Multiple applications submitted by a candidate are liable for rejection. Hence, DO NOT submit multiple application forms.
IIT JAM Exam 2023
Choice of Examination Cities: JAM 2023 Examination will be conducted in eight zones. The names of these eight zones with the list of zone-wise Examination Cities are listed in Annexure VI. Candidates must specify their first, second and third choice of cities at the time of applying for JAM 2023. When the choice of first city is made, then the zone gets determined and the candidates will be able to choose the second and third choice city only from the same zone. If a minimum required number of candidates have not applied at a listed city, then the city may be dropped from the final list, and those candidates will be allotted a centre in the city of their second or third choice. However, a new city may be added, or an existing city may be removed, or a city that may not be any one of the choices stated by the candidate may be allotted for operational reasons. Candidates are requested to regularly check JAM 2023 website for updates regarding examination cities, if any. A city once allotted will not normally be changed. An examination city may have one or more examination centres. A request for change of centre within the same city will NOT be accepted.
IIT JAM Exam 2023
|Zones||Tentative Examination Cities|
+91 80 22932392
|Belagavi/Belgaum, Bengaluru, Bidar, Gulbarga / Kalaburagi, Hassan, Hubballi, Hyderabad, Kannur, Kozhikode, Mangaluru, Mysuru (Mysore),Palakkad, Port Blair, Shimoga, Thrissur|
+91 22 25767022
|Ahmedabad, Ahmednagar, Akola, Amravati, Aurangabad, Goa, Jalgaon, Kolhapur, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nanded, Pune, Rajkot, Sangli, Satara, Solapur, Surat, Vadodara|
+91 11 26591749
|Faridabad, Greater NOIDA, Gurugram, Indore, Jaipur, Jammu, Jodhpur, Mathura, New Delhi, Srinagar|
+91 361 2586500
|Agartala, Asansol-Durgapur, Dhanbad, Dibrugarh, Dimapur-Kohima, Guwahati, Jorhat, Kalyani, Patna, Shillong, Siliguri|
+91 512 2597412
|Agra, Aligarh, Bareilly, Bhopal, Gorakhpur, Jabalpur, Kanpur, Lucknow, Prayagraj (Allahabad), Varanasi|
|Berhampur (Odisha), Bhubaneswar, Bilaspur, Kolkata, Raipur, Ranchi, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam|
+91 44 22578200
|Alappuzha, Chennai, Coimbatore, Ernakulam, Karimnagar, Kollam, Kottayam, Madurai, Puducherry, Salem, Thiruvananthapuram, Tiruchirappalli, Tirunelveli, Tirupati, Warangal|
+91 1332 284531
|Dehradun, Ghaziabad, Haldwani, Jalandhar, Meerut, Mohali, Moradabad, NOIDA, Patiala, Roorkee|
IIT JAM Exam 2023
7. Admit Card
An Admit Card, bearing the Candidate’s Name, Registration Number, Photograph, Signature and Name(s) and Code(s) of the Test Paper(s) applied, along with the Name and Address of the Test Centre allotted, will be available for download from JOAPS from January 10, 2023 until the Examination Date. Admit Cards will not be sent by post/e-mail. The candidate should carefully examine the Admit Card for all the entries made therein. In case of any discrepancy, the candidate should inform through email to [email protected].
A printout of the downloaded Admit Card must be brought to the Test Centre along with the original and valid Photo ID. The candidate must give the ID proof details while filling out the online application. No candidate will be permitted to appear in JAM 2023 examination without a valid Admit Card, and a valid and original Photo ID. The Admit Card should be presented for verification.
A copy of the Admit Card of JAM 2023 must be carefully preserved by the Candidate and produced at the time of Admission if required by the Admitting Institute.
The Organizing Institute may withdraw the permission granted to a candidate to appear in JAM 2023, if it is found later on that the candidate is not eligible to appear in the exam, even though an Admit Card has been issued.
Editors Note: IIT JAM Exam 2023, IIT JAM Exam 2023, IIT JAM Exam 2023 Subscribe to Rasayanika for the latest chemistry and Pharma job openings, follow us on Facebook and Telegram and subscribe to our youtube channel for the latest updates on chemistry and Pharma jobs and much more.