Homi Bhabha National Institute PhD Research Fellowship & RA Program Announced 2020-21
Homi Bhabha National Institute. Applications are invited from Indian citizens for admission to regular PhD program of HBNI with specializations in Chemical & Engineering Sciences and Research Associate (RA) positions in Chemical Sciences. Check out all the details on the same below:
HBNI is inviting online applications for THREE JRFs (3 nos.) and TWO (2) Research Associates in the specialized areas given below for working under the supervision of faculty at HBNI central office, Mumbai. Research fellows and Research Associates will have access to the research infrastructure facilities available in all CIs/OCC of HBNI with due permissions.
Program Discipline PhD Chemical Sciences
60% or equivalent CGPA in Masters/ Integrated Masters in Chemistry
Note: The Candidates who have appeared in the final semester/year of qualifying examination in 2020 are also eligible to apply for the PhD program. However, if selected, they will be provisionally admitted and need to submit the final semester/ year results/ mark sheet with the requisite percentage latest by 31st March 2021for regularisation.
Age: The candidate must be an Indian national. The candidate applying for PhD program should be less than 28 years of age as on last date for receipt of application. A relaxation of up to 3 years can be given in case of Other Backward Class applicants, 5 years in age in case of Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe applicants and 10 years in case of Physically
The requirement of Qualifying in National Level Examination(s) for pursuing a PhD program in HBNI
(a) The candidates desirous of applying for the PhD programmes should have qualified at
least one of the National Level Examinations viz., CSIR-UGC NET (LS or JRF)/ GATE, AICTE
and similar examinations conducted by the Govt. of India institutions. The GATE scorecard should be valid as on 31st December 2020.
(b) It is expected that candidates shall be proficient in English writing and communication.
- The Research Fellowship given by HBNI will be as per DAE guidelines. The selected
candidates will be initially taken as Junior Research Fellows (JRF) and will be paid a stipend of Rs. 31,000/- per month. The fellowship will be provided initially for a period of two years.
- Continuation of the fellowship is subject to satisfactory performance and review at the end of each year. On satisfactory performance, the tenure of Fellowship will be further extended and upgraded to Senior Research Fellowship (SRF) from the third year onwards with a stipend of Rs.35,000/- per month. The total period of the fellowship shall in no case exceed five years.
- Candidates selected for RA, who have submitted PhD thesis and are yet to receive their
official degree, will be paid Rs. 40,000/- p.m.; Rs.47,000/- per month for the candidate with PhD degree (RA-1); Rs.49,000/- per month for RA with PhD degree &1-year experience (RA-2); Rs.54,000/- per month for RA with a PhD degree and 2 or more years of experience (RA-3).
- The fellowship is tenable for Two (2) years in the first instance and extendable for a Third (3rd) year. The performance of the RA is liable to be reviewed at the end of each year.
- No accommodation will be provided by HBNI during the Ph. D. Programme. However,
selected JRFs will be assisted to get accommodation on rental basis.
- All JRF/ SRF and Research Associates will be eligible for the annual contingency of Rs.32,000/- per year and shall follow the DAE guidelines for utilization for the grant.
• PhD Program
Chemical Sciences: Theoretical & Computational Chemistry
• Research Associates
(a) Chemical Sciences
• The selection committee will shortlist the candidates from amongst those who meet
the minimum educational qualifications and satisfy additional criteria which may be set
as deemed necessary.
• The short-listed candidates will be called for an interview for the admission. The
interview may be held online depending upon the situation. In such case, the candidates
will be informed about the platform and the mode of participation.
• Based on the performance of the candidates in the selection process, the selection
the committee will recommend candidates for admission to the PhD program / Research
Associateship at the appropriate level.
How to Apply
The application form has to be filled up and submitted online at http://www.hbni.ac.in
following stepwise instructions mentioned in the web site.
At the time of application, along with the online form, the candidate should upload soft
copy of the supporting documents as per the eligibility criteria.
• The last date for filling up Online application 11thDec. 2020
• Tentative dates for test/interview will be in the 5th week of December 2020 (starting
• The selected candidates can join on any date starting from 04 Jan 2021, and in any
case not later than 01 Feb 2021. Permission may be granted in specific cases for
extension of the joining date for a reasonable period at the discretion of HBNI, based
on a request from the candidate indicating the special circumstances.
Address for all communications
Homi Bhabha National Institute (a Deemed to be University),
2nd floor, Training School Complex,
Anushaktinagar, Mumbai 400094.
Checklist for application submission
Before online submission of application in the prescribed format, you need to have the
following data ready (in JPEG/ PDF formats) for uploading:
• A passport size photo(in JPEG format, less than 1 MB Size)
• Birth Certificate/10th pass certificate in support of date of birth.
• Certificate and mark sheets in support of qualifying examinations
• In case the original pass certificate is not issued by University then a certificate from the
University on its letterhead with the seal of the concerned authority certifying the
completion of degree should be submitted.
• Certificate/document in support of qualifying the national level examination(s) as
General Information and broad guidelines
• The candidates/ respondents are informed that the advertisement is for fellowship for
pursuing a PhD programme or Research Associateship only. This shall not be
considered/ taken as the appointment to any position in any organization. This fellowship
will terminate automatically without any notice or compensation as laid in the
• The selected person shall have no claim of appointment/absorption in HBNI.
• The qualification prescribed should have been obtained from recognized Universities /
• The prescribed educational qualifications are the bare minimum and mere possession of
the same does not entitle candidates to be called for interview. Where the number of applications received in response to this advertisement is large, it may not be
convenient or possible to interview all the candidates. Based on the recommendations
of the Screening Committee, the number of candidates to be called for the interview maybe restricted to a reasonable limit after taking into consideration the marks obtained in the qualifying degree and National Level Examinations conducted by the Govt. of India institutions, for PhD programme, and nature of research work & publication in case of RA. Therefore, it will be in the interest of the candidates to mention marks obtained in qualifying degree and national level examination for PhD programme; research work and experience in the relevant field for RA, in the application.
• The candidature of the applicant shall remain provisional till detailed scrutiny of his
documents is undertaken and the candidate is found eligible in all respect. HBNI would
be at liberty to reject any application at any stage of the selection process if the
candidate is found ineligible for the post or if it comes to notice that the candidate has
furnished false information. The decision of HBNI shall be final in deciding the eligibility
of the candidate. The mere fact that a call letter has been issued to the candidate and
he/she is allowed to appear in the interview will not imply that entries made by the
candidate in his/her application have been accepted as true and correct.
• Those who are in employment under any Central/State Govt./Public Sector Undertakings/Corporations/ Local Govt. etc. should submit a No Objection Certificate
from the employer at the time of verification of the documents.
• SC/ST/OBC certificate should be as per the format prescribed for employment in
Government of India.
• The number of fellowships may vary as per the requirement at the time of final
selection. HBNI reserves the right not to fill up the fellowships if it so desires.
• No interim enquiries/ correspondence/ communication of any sort will be entertained
on the matter.
• Canvassing in any form and/or bringing any influence, political, or otherwise, will be
treated as a disqualification for the post applied for.
• All candidates called for the Interview will be paid to and fro to the extent of third-AC
Railway fare by the shortest route from their place of residence to the Institute in case
they are able to present themselves physically for the interview. They have to produce
evidence in support of their claim in the prescribed form at the time of Interview. The
claims on such transports will be credited to their SB account.
The last date for filling up Online application 11thDec. 2020
View Main Notification
Editors Note: Homi Bhabha National Institute Subscribe to Rasayanika for latest chemistry and Pharma job openings, follow us on Facebook and Whatsapp and subscribe to our youtube channel for latest updates on chemistry and Pharma jobs and much more.