Physical Research Laboratory Chemistry Job Opening – Apply Now
Applications are invited from highly motivated candidates for selection as Junior Research Fellows (JRF) in the Physical Research Laboratory (PRL). JRFs at PRL will be encouraged to register for a PhD degree at an Institute/University with which PRL has an MoU. PRL’s research scholars will adhere to the norms of the registering Institute/University as agreed upon in the MoU.
PRL, known as the “cradle of space sciences,” is a premier national research institution under the aegis of the Department of Space, Government of India. The broad areas of ongoing research activities in PRL are Astronomy & Astrophysics, Solar Physics, Space & Atmospheric Sciences, Atomic & Molecular Physics, Optical Physics, Astrochemistry, Theoretical Physics, Geosciences, and Planetary Sciences.
Eligibility: Planetary Science [Candidates from Physics, Chemistry, Geochemistry, Geology, Geophysics, Applied Physics, Planetary sciences disciplines are eligible to apply]
Key Research Areas:
- Physics, Dynamics and Composition of Planetary Atmospheres.
- Dust storms and convective vortices on Mars.
- Modeling of Planetary Atmospheric Chemistry.
- Modeling and Observation of Interplanetary Dust Particles (IDPs) at Various Planets,
- Micrometeorites on Airless Bodies like Moon, Dust Charging and Levitation on Small Airless Body, Dusty Plasma.
- Planetary Lightning: Modelling and Observation of Lightning on Various Planets like Venus, Mars etc. and its effect on the Atmosphere.
- Electromagnetic Wave Propagation.
- Study of Planetary materials and Terrestrial Impact craters.
- Impact craters and their associated fluvial activities on Mars, Role of impact craters in
- Lunar evolution post-Late Heavy Bombardment, Exploring Impact cratering on planetary bodies (Mars/Moon), their terrestrial analogues and through experimental analysis.
Geological evolution of Mars using remote sensing data analysis.
- Evolution of the lunar crust, Development of new techniques for hyperspectral/multispectral remote sensing data analysis, Comparative geology of airless planetary bodies.
- Reflectance spectroscopy of planetary materials and analogues under laboratory simulated conditions.
- Planetary Geophysics and Heat flow Studies.
Instrumentation for Planetary Exploration.
- Planetary Geology & Geochemistry.
- Quaternary Geochronology and Quaternary paleoclimates.
- Organics in meteorites.
- Stellar Nucleosynthesis from an experimental perspective.
- Early active Sun and Short-lived nuclide studies in meteorites.
- Secondary alterations in the protoplanetary disk.
- Presolar grains morphological interests.
- Optically stimulated luminescence, gamma-ray spectrometer development.
- Instrumentation for Planetary Exploration.
- Study of the hydrodynamical and chemical evolution of the star
- Planet-forming regions using numerical simulations and laboratory experiments.
Eligibility criteria for applying to the JRF Programme
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Science or Engineering with at least a first-class (60%) or equivalent grades at both Bachelor’s and Master’s levels.
- Those candidates expecting their Master’s degree by August 2020 are also eligible to apply, subject to having secured at least a first-class (60%) or equivalent grade(s) up to the last semester.
Applicants should have qualified any one of the following examinations:
- CSIR-UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) JRF/LS [December 2018/June 2019/December 2019] in Physical Sciences / Chemical Sciences / Earth, Atmospheric, Ocean, and Planetary Sciences.
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) [GATE 2018/GATE 2019/GATE 2020] in Physics / Geology and Geophysics / Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences / Chemistry.
- Please note that if the applicant possesses more than one score in either GATE or NET then the best among them has to be provided in the application.
- Applicants whose ranks are in the range of 1- 500 in any of the CSIR-UGC-NET/GATE/JEST tests are quite likely to be called for the interview at PRL subject to their fulfilling other eligibility criteria as mentioned above and their online application through PRL’s website. It is expected that prospective candidates have good proficiency in fundamental physics and mathematics.
- Candidates should be interested in pursuing a research career in the current areas of research at PRL, as mentioned above. Preference will be given to candidates who have completed their Master’s degree in the last two years. There are about 25 positions available. However, the intake will depend on the performance of the candidate in the interview and the suitability of the candidate’s research interest to the research program of PRL. PRL is an equal opportunity institute, women candidates are encouraged to apply.
Candidate must be an Indian Citizen.
Age Limit :
28 years as on the last date of submission of application.
Important Information :
- The candidates are interested in applying to the PRL’s JRF program must fill in the online application form.
- Candidates are advised to apply well before the closing date and not wait until the last date to avoid possible hindrances such as issues with internet connections/problems with a local server(s) /power failure, etc.
- A valid e-mail ID and Mobile Number are mandatory for registration. E-mail ID should be kept active. Status of successful registration will be sent to the registered e-mail ID.
- Candidates are requested to fill in the online Application Form with the utmost care, as no modification(s) will be allowed after its submission. Request for any change/correction in the Application Form shall not be entertained under any circumstances after submission of the application form.
- PRL will not be responsible for any consequences arising due to furnishing incorrect/incomplete information or failure to provide the required information. Submitting the online application does not guarantee a call for the interview.
- The interview of the candidate will be based on the academic qualification(s) and basic knowledge in physics, mathematics, & chemistry and not on the topic of research interest opted for pursuing work towards a Ph.D. degree in PRL.
Important Dates :
Online Application Starts: 31.03.2020 (07:00 am onward)
Last date for online Application: 10 May 2020 (till 23:59 hrs.)
Dates for Interviews at PRL, Ahmedabad: 4, 5, 8 and, 9 June 2020
Online Application Form
Editor’s Note: Physical Research Laboratory Subscribe to Rasayanika for latest chemistry and Pharma job openings, follow us on Facebook and Whatsapp and subscribe to our youtube channel for latest updates on chemistry and Pharma jobs and much more.