Best Chemistry Institutes in India – Top Chemistry Colleges in India.
List of Top Universities in India for studying Chemistry
In this article, we will focus on the top chemistry colleges in India for a master’s degree in Chemistry and this should clear all your doubts regarding your master’s degree and will guide you to follow the best path to have your dream career in the field of chemical sciences!
First, is it important to get a Master’s Degree in chemistry after B.Sc?
After graduation, there is always a question of whether I have to go for a Master’s or not? Different students will have different answers to this question and will have different reasons to study masters in chemistry. So you must have planned for a career such as doing a Ph.D. or becoming a professor etc. for doing which you need your master’s degree. Many students enjoy the chance to pursue their undergraduate subject chemistry at a more advanced level and hence they do masters. And some other reasons for doing M.Sc in chemistry is that-
- Improve teaching skills.
- Enjoy increased job stability.
- Earn more money with an advanced degree.
- Apply for administration positions.
- Take advantage of great benefits.
Why do M.Sc in chemistry from the Best Chemistry Institutes in India or the Top Chemistry Colleges?
To get the above advantages of your Master’s degree it is important to pursue your education from good universities and colleges. These universities and colleges will not only give you your Masters degree but also will give you the practical knowledge about the subject so that you can easily get the job and get admission in top most institutes in India and abroad for your higher studies like Ph.D. M.Phil etc. Here is the list of top 12 institutes to do your postgraduation in Chemistry.
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (IISC).
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi
- Banaras Hindu University
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad.
- Anna University, Chennai
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore.
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education
- Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune.
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai.
- Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS), Pilani (Rajasthan).
- Indian Institue of Technology (IITs)
The Best Chemistry Institutes in India to do Masters in chemistry:
The chemistry department here is one of the oldest departments. The chemical science department here has maintained rank in the top 50 chemistry departments in the world. It has a very good and experienced faculty. This department has laid a strong foundation to embark and expand the horizons of chemistry. It has well-equipped labs and classrooms, good library facilities. It also provides hostels for the students. The course curriculum is designed to ensure that they are adequately prepared to enter Ph.D. programs. Once you do masters here, you can even continue with your research here itself. An important feature of the program is also that you will carry out a small research project on a wide range of topics in the research laboratories within the chemistry department.
- Eligibility: B Sc Degree in First Class or an equivalent degree with Chemistry as one of the main subjects and with Mathematics at the higher secondary level.
- Admission: JAM Exam and interview, and selection will be based only on the performance in the Interview.
Master of Science in Chemistry at Jawaharlal Nehru University is two years full-time course in Physical Sciences. The chemistry department here is one of the leading departments in India for research and teaching. The department has excellent facilities, modern laboratories, and a well-stocked library.
The salient features of the syllabus are (a) emphasis on the fundamental and applied aspects of chemistry, (b) focus on advanced laboratory training, and (c) initiation to research in chemistry.
- Eligibility: A candidate must have passed the Bachelor’s degree (with Chemistry as one of the subjects) under the 10+2+3 a pattern of education with 55% marks in the aggregate (or in Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics combined), or in Chemistry Honours. Applicants with B.Tech degree (or equivalent) in Chemical/Polymer/Petroleum Engineering can also apply.
- Admission: Admission is Based on merit-Basis of their performance in the Computer Based Test (CBT) Entrance Exam(JNUEE Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Examination).
Banaras Hindu University is an internationally reputed temple of learning and is under the top chemistry colleges in India. It is situated in the holy city of Varanasi. It offers an Msc Chemistry course for the duration of 2 years.
- Eligibility: A candidate must have passed the B.Sc. (Hons.)/ B.Sc. having a minimum of 50% marks in the aggregate in Science subjects from a recognized university.
- Admission: The admissions shall be made strictly on the basis of the merit index in the BHU Postgraduate Entrance Tests (PET).
Anna University is one of the best chemistry institutes in India. It provides a master’s in applied chemistry. It one of the most outstanding departments at Anna University.
- Eligibility: Graduation Degree in the relevant subject is the minimum eligibility for admission at Annamalai University.
- Admission: Through TANCET Exam
The chemistry department here has good infrastructure and well-organized labs. This University is known to be a top chemistry college and you will get a good knowledge of theoretical and computational chemistry.
- Eligibility: B.Sc with 60% marks with Chemistry as one of the main subjects
- Admission: Admission to the M.Sc. program is based on the performance of the candidate in a national level written test.
Delhi University is one of the renowned and top chemistry universities in India. The department of chemistry here is well known for its excellence in teaching and research. The M.Sc syllabus here is properly designed and framed according to the current research and industry oriented. The department has also started project work for M.Sc students so that they get exposure to research and create good communication skills. Collaborative research programs with many research laboratories and research institutes in Delhi and outside India are started so that the gap between the theoretical and practical knowledge decreases.
- Eligibility: B.Sc. (Hons.) Chemistry with 50% or above marks in aggregate both main and 50% or above marks in Chemistry, B.Sc. Degree with 60% or above marks in Chemistry from Delhi University or any other University whose examination is recognized as equivalent to the University of Delhi and fulfill other conditions of eligibility.
- Admission: Admission to the M.Sc. program is based on the performance of the candidate university entrance exam.
One among the top chemistry colleges in India, the chemistry department has highly eminent and well-qualified faculty. Here the students are encouraged for active learning and research. Many mini projects are given to students here so that they can explore their chosen disciplines. In this department for one semester, students can do their projects from national institutes such as IIT, IISER, NIIST, etc.
- Eligibility: B.Sc. in Chemistry with first class from any recognized Indian or Foreign University, with Mathematics as one of the ancillary subjects.
- Admission: Based on the marks obtained in the qualifying examination and interview.
Manipal Academy of Higher Education is synonymous with excellence in higher education. There are about 28,000 students from 57 different nations in MAHE, learning in the University, in Karnataka’s Udupi district.
- Eligibility: The candidate must have passed BSc with Chemistry as a major subject with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate.
- Admission: Admissions are done on the basis of marks obtained in the qualifying examination and there is no entrance test.
The chemistry department of SPPU is rated as one of the best in India and comes under the top 10 universities in India for teaching and research. It has well qualified and highly experienced faculties. Here alone with a master’s degree, you will even get good research experience as in one-semester project is compulsory. This department has well-equipped labs and a good library. The lab here has all the latest instruments and techniques.
- Eligibility: Candidate should have done B.Sc. Chemistry or B.Sc. Biochemistry with 50% marks (45% marks for reserved category) from a recognized College/University.
- Admission: Admission will be through Entrance Test.
The chemistry department is one of the oldest departments of BITS. It is equipped with a state of the art instrumentation facility and research laboratories.
- Eligibility: B.Sc with 60% marks with Chemistry as one of the main subjects
- Admission: Admissions will be made purely on merit based on the score obtained by the candidate in the BITSAT exam.
Being an Institue for Chemical Technology, it is without a doubt one of the best chemistry institutes in India. It is one of the government recognized deemed university. The faculty of the college is highly knowledgeable. Also, they have a well-established laboratory with all kinds of instruments according to the projects. The department motivates students for research and builds a career in industry.
- Eligibility: B.Sc in the concerned disciplines with a minimum of 55% marks.
- Admission: Admission to M.Sc. is done on the basis of merit in the qualifying examination.
12) IIT ‘s
Department of chemistry in all IITs have highly qualified and experienced teaching faculty. They have world-class research labs and equipment. They provide with student exchange program with various foreign institutes. The Department of Chemistry aims to prepare its students to be independent and creative. It has a well-designed course syllabus for your future research or placement. One or two good recommendations from IIT faculty surely help you get into Ph.D. in foreign universities. Qualifying national level exams like NET or GATE will be much easier as their syllabus is according to competitive exams. It is the best platform to enhance knowledge and to learn the techniques for the execution of ideas.
- Eligibility: B.Sc in the concerned disciplines with a minimum of 55% marks
- Admission: Admission is through counseling based on the rank obtained in Joint Admission Test (JAM).
These are the Best Chemistry Institutes in India. A Master’s Degree in Chemistry(Msc Chemistry) from any of these prestigious institutes will boost your career opportunities and will take you to your desired position in life!
Editors Note: What are the Best Chemistry Institutes in India, List of Top Best Chemistry Institutes in India, Top Chemistry Universities in India for studying master’s