NationalInstitute of Ocean Technology (NIOT), Chennai, a technical arm of the Ministry of Earth Sciences, Govt. of India, is functioning with broad objective of promoting technology development in activities related to Ocean Engineering and Ocean Resource utilization. The Institute has taken up various research activities in the area of Ocean Observation Systems, Offshore Structures / Island Desalination, Ocean Acoustics, Ballast water
managements, Seawater Quality Monitoring Programme and Marine Biotechnology. This wide spectrum of research activities provides opportunities to bright young men and women in the form of direct Junior Research Fellowships (JRFs), Senior Research Fellowships (SRFs) and Research Associate (RAs) for training in methods of research under the expert guidance of scientists working in the organization.
The fellowship is for fixed tenure and does not imply any assurance or guarantee for subsequent employment by NIOT to the beneficiary. Selected Fellows and Associates will have to devote their full time to the approved research programs. Fellows and Associates are not permitted to take up any other remunerative jobs/assignments during their tenure.
Applications are invited from the interested and eligible candidates. Qualification in the relevant discipline and job requirement in one or more of the areas as mentioned against each post are required. The candidates should apply online and forward a hard copy duly signed by the candidate by post along with Registration No. of online submission, enclosing the required copies of certificates for consideration.
Job Title : Senior Research Fellow – Life Sciences & Chemical Sciences
Post Code : SRF – LS/CS
No.of.Posts : 06
Area of Work/ Requirement : Should be capable of carrying out research and developmental activities pertaining to collection, isolation, identification, maintenance, mass culture, biochemical and molecular analysis of deep sea microbial / marine microalgal / marine finfish / cage culture / anti-biofouling studies / purification and characterization of marine natural products / physicochemical analysis of seawater /
SCUBA diving and extensive field work for the above activities.
Eligibility Criteria :
- M.Sc. in Life / Chemical Sciences, with atleast 60% marks, with two years of research experience and one publication in SCI journal
- BE/B.Tech. in Biotechnology/Genetics/Bioinformatics with at least 60% marks and two years of research experience and one publication in SCI journal
- ME / M.Tech. in Biotechnology/Genetics/Bioinformatics with at least 60% marks
- B.Pharm with at least 60% marks, three years of research experience and one publication in SCI journal
- M.Pharm with at least 60% marks, one year of research experience and one publication in SCI journal.
Job Title : Junior Research Fellow – Life Sciences & Chemical Sciences
Post Code : JRF – LS/CS
No.of.Posts : 03
Area of Work/ Requirement : Should be capable of carrying out preparatory works in the laboratory for research and developmental activities pertaining to collection, isolation, identification, maintenance, mass culture, biochemical and molecular analysis of deep sea microbial / marine microalgal / marine finfish / cage culture / anti-biofouling studies / purification and characterization of marine natural products / physicochemical analysis of seawater / SCUBA diving and extensive field work for the above activities.
Eligibility Criteria :
- M.Sc. in Life / Chemical Sciences, with at least 60% marks and NET/GATE/ DST INSPIRE qualified
- B.Tech. Biotechnology / Genetics / Bioinformatics / B.Pharm with at least 60% marks and NET/GATE/DST INSPIRE qualified
How to Apply:
- The candidates are requested to note the following:
(i) Candidates must be citizens of India.
(ii) Positions are purely temporary against projects and co-terminus with the project’s tenure.
(iii) No TA/DA will be paid to the candidate for appearing for the written test/interview.
- The application form is available online on NIOT website http://www.niot.res.in/index.php/recruitment. The candidate has to fill the
application online, and upon submission, applicants will be provided with an online Registration Number. After allotment of Registration Number, the candidate has to take a print out of the filled in application and send to NIOT duly signed along with copies of the following certificates. Online applications must invariably be followed by hard copy along with enclosures. Online applications without hardcopy submission will lead to
rejection of the application. Similarly, hard copy applications without online registration will not be considered. The application without the following enclosures shall summarily be rejected. Candidates shall enclose selfattested photocopies of the following documents alongwith the printout of the application Form.
(i) Self attested copies of school leaving certificate, degrees, mark sheets, Proof of PhD registration, Proof of PhD Submission/PhD VivaVoce/PhD degree, NET, GATE, etc. Attested copies of document in support of research experience. Only office orders (OMs) will be accepted as proof of experience. Offer of appointment or pay slip will
not be accepted for this purpose.
(ii) Self attested copies of research papers published, accepted for publication.
(iii) Testimonial from Guide/ Supervisor.
(iv) Undertaking to resign in case of employed candidates in the event of award of Senior Research fellowship/Research Associate (SRF/RA).
(v) The candidates should not have exceeded the maximum age limit specified as on the last date of online applications.
- Age Limit: The upper age limit for the award of
i. JRF shall be 28 years,
ii. SRF shall be 32 years.
iii. RA shall be 35 years.
- Candidates who are in Government / autonomous Institutions and PSU should forward No Objection Certificate.
- NIOT may fix suitable norms for short listing the applications depending upon the vacancies available in the research area in which the vacancies exist.
- The Advt. No., Name of Post, Post code and Discipline should be clearly indicated on the envelope. A candidate can apply in only one post code. The code number of the post should be carefully selected and indicated. It should be directly related to past education and experience and future area of study. Identification of irrelevant code or code not matching with the topic of research may lead to rejection of the application. No change of code would be permitted.
- The candidates selected are liable to work anywhere in India and can be
posted in any of the projects in NIOT.
- The applications received after due date or without enclosures or incomplete applications will be summarily rejected. NIOT cannot take any responsibility for transit and other delays.
- The decision of NIOT in all matters relating to eligibility, acceptance or rejection of application shall be final, and no enquiry or correspondence will be entertained in this connection from any individual or his/her agency.
- The tenure of SRF will initially be 2 years and extendable up to the 3rd year after review by a three member committee. RA will be tenable initially for one year. It may be extended further annually at the discretion of NIOT based on three members assessment committee report. The total tenure of RA is fixed for 3 years. The validity of the offer of the JRF award is two years and will not be extendable.
- If the candidate wants his/her application to be considered for more than one post, separate application should be submitted for each category.
- The Fellowships will be paid as per NIOT/CSIR/DST norms
- Applications should be sent to The Director, National Institute of Ocean Technology, Velachery – Tambaram Main Road, Pallikaranai, Chennai–600100, INDIA so as to reach on or before the due date, duly superscribing on the envelope “the post name and discipline for which applied”.
Last date for online applications : 09.02.2018
Last date for receipt of applications : 09.02.2018