A US $41 billion corporation, the Aditya Birla Group is in the League of Fortune 500. The Group globally operates in Cements, Metals, Mining, Acrylic Fibre, Carbon Black, Insulators, Agri Business, Chemicals, Pulp & Viscose Fibre, Apparel & Textiles, Trading, Financial Telecom and Retail Industries. The Group has been adjudged among the `Top two Best Employers in India’ in 2011 through an AON-Hewitt study. It has also been Ranked No. 1 in Asia Pacific, and No. 4 globally as a Top Company for Leaders.
Job Title – Research Scientist
Job Number – 17010004
The Pulp and Fibre business of Aditya Birla Group is the global leader in Viscose Staple Fibre with a market share of 21% with a turnover of approximately US $ 2 billion. Fibre is manufactured in plants located in India, Indonesia, Thailand and China. The key raw material for fibre manufacturing, Dissolving Grade Pulp, is chiefly manufactured in house at plants in India,Canada and Sweden. Under a strategy of backward integration, the Business has also invested in Eucalyptus plantations in Lao PDR. The business produces more than 2000 metric tonnes of VSF per day. The fibre is sold in almost 63 countries under the brand name of Birla Cellulose.The key strengths of the business include a wide portfolio of products with regular and specialty
fibres and strong cost leadership. In view of strong competition, and the business vision to be the Global Leader, a need was felt to further expand the Research & Development organization.
The R&D team is thus expected to work on innovations that would enable the business to take aquantum leap through patented products and processes, and develop a portfolio of new investment opportunities for the business, that will strengthen the competitive positioning of the business.
Major Challenges of the Job:
- Managing interdepartmental interactions across multiple verticals functions (Marketing, Manufacturing, Business Units), and across multiple geographies.
- Working together across multiple technology groups Pulp R&D, ABSTC, CTC, BRI, ABCFRC, and TRADC.
- Building in a market focus for the innovation by creating marketable products and supporting customers technically
- Ensuring that the business core strength of cost competitiveness is retained and built upon while enhancing the focus on innovation.
- Ph. D./M.Sc in Chemistry/ Chemical Engineering/ Textiles from a reputed institution
- Experience of working in research and development /scale up/process design/ troubleshooting/variation control in a renowned company or overseas research experience. Exposure to polymers / fibers / cellulose is preferred but not a must
- Exposure to yarn spinning, Yarn technology and mechanics
Application Deadline – 27th January 2017