DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY (DST)
DST AWARDS FOR PARTICIPATION
IN THE MEETING OF NOBEL LAUREATES & STUDENTS
(25-30 June 2017)
(Dedicated to chemistry and closely related topics)
Each year since 1951, Nobel Prize winners in Chemistry, Physics, Physiology or Medicine have been meeting in Lindau, Germany, to discuss major issues of importance to their fields with students from around the world. The meetings include lectures, panel/ round-table discussions on interdisciplinary topics and informal small- group meetings with the Nobel Prize winners. The DST has been sending a group of students / young researchers to these meetings, since 2001.
It intended to send a group of Indian Students /young researchers to the 67th Meeting of Nobel Laureates & Students during 25-30 June 2017, which is dedicated to Chemistry and Closely related topics. Applications are invited from bright and young students and researchers in Chemistry for availing this award. The lectures and discussions are at a level appropriate for students/researchers in their early research careers. More details of the meeting can be seen at www.lindau-nobel.de
Terms of Award:
The selected participants will be provided with International travel related expenses, local transportation, lodging (twin-sharing basis) and boarding for attending the Meeting. It is mandatory for the selected students to attend the complete full week programme in Germany as well as briefing meeting in Delhi prior to departure to Germany. The Indian team of selected students shall leave for Lindau from Delhi (after briefing meeting) and shall return back after the completion of the Lindau trip to Delhi. Visits by candidates to institutes other than the scheduled programme during the above period will not be entertained. The selected candidates will have to make their own arrangements for accommodation and transportation in Delhi for attending the briefing meeting at DST prior to the departure to Germany. The charges for accommodation in Delhi and 2nd AC train tickets from the nearest railway station from their places of residence to New Delhi and back will be reimbursed by DST on submission of the receipts/ train tickets as per the DST norms.
No escorts/ accompanying persons will be allowed with the participants and no request for personalized progamme during this period would be considered in any case. The applicants would also not be allowed to withdraw the nomination after selection.
i. Only Indian science students (by citizenship) studying/ working/ affiliated to research Institutes/ universities in India are eligible.
ii. Engineering /Tech. students are not eligible.
iii. Indian students studying and doing post-doc/internship/or staying in Germany / abroad are also not eligible for this award.
There are three categories of participants to be nominated:
A. Master Students
B. Doctoral Students; and
C. Young Post-doctoral researcher below the age of 35 years
All selected participants shall –
- show a genuine interest in science and research
- show a strong commitment to their principal field of studies and to the interdisciplinary work
- receive strong support of their application by their academic advisor and/or by internationally renowned scientists, through a detailed letter of recommendations
- be fluent in English, capable of active participant in discussions
- belong to the top Three of their class in the order of merit
- not already have a permanent position (Scientist and researchers with permanent/ regular position- particular at lecturer/ professor level (ad hoc and/or permanent) will, in general, not be admitted to the meetings)
- not older than 35 years of age as on 25 June 2017
- not have participated in the previous Lindau Meetings
- deliver fully completed applications to DST and after short listing by DST, the online application to Lindau website (incomplete applications shall be out right rejected)
- Commit themselves to being present for the full duration of the meeting
Additional eligibility requirements in each category are:
Category-A: Master Students, who
- exhibit a solid general knowledge in chemistry
- Have done some practical work and/or have laboratory experience
- Should be among top three in the order of merit in the class for 1st year of MSc or in 4th year of 5-year integrated master’s programme. Rank certificate from the Head of the Department is to be provided with application.
Category-B: Doctoral Students, who:
- Show excellent academic accomplishments
- have produced some very good research work
- Must have completed two years from the date of registration for Phd.
- Should be among top three in the order of merit in M.Sc
Category-C: Postdoctoral scientists, who:
- Have up-to 5 years of postdoctoral experience (optimum about 2-3 years after doctoral degree)
- Have published results of own scientific research in refereed journals, preferentially as 1st author,
- Have presented their work at international scientific meetings, preferentially as lecture.
- Should be among top three in the order of merit in M.Sc
A complete application consists of:
a) One complete set of original application duly forwarded by Head of the Institute, in prescribed format (Annexure-I) along with one set of photo copies of the awards/certificates substantiating the information provided in the application duly attested.
b) At least one letter of reference from an academician or acquainted with the applicant;
c) Soft copy of the application form (without certificates) in ms-word or PDF format only (Do not include scanned pages/ copies in the soft copy of the application, as signatures are not required in the soft copy), as email attached to firstname.lastname@example.org The softcopy will be used only for the evaluation purpose.
d) However, applications received by post on or before the last date will only be considered.
e) Applications by hand at DST will not be entertained.
The hardcopy of the complete applications must be submitted latest by 1700 Hrs on 30 th November 2016 to:
- Dr. Chadaram Sivaji
- International Bilateral Cooperation Division
- R.No-1 TIFAC Building
- Department of Science and Technology Technology Bhawan, New Mehrauli Road, New Delhi-110016
- Incomplete application in any respect and received after due date will be summarily rejected.
- The candidates must be in possession of valid passport at the time of application.
- Documents/information submitted subsequent to submission of application will not be considered / accepted
- Hand written/ advance copy of application will not be accepted in any case.
- The application must be neatly stamped / tagged in a single set and in proper order and there should not be any loose paper/ document.
- The reference letter need not be sealed or packed separately but must be attached only along with the set of application. The reference letter through mails and separate post shall not be considered. See guidelines from Lindau Foundation at Annexure-II
Application Deadline – 30th November 2016