What is KIRAN?
A large number of well qualified women scientists have been compelled to leave their careers in between due to various reasons, most common cited as family responsibilities. At present there is no system to address this issue due to restrictions in age and qualifications.
KIRAN (Knowledge Involvement in Research Advancement through Nurturing) , the Women Scientist Scheme has been introduced by the Department of Science and Technology to desirous women scientists who wish to return to mainstream science and work as bench level scientists. This endeavor attempts at giving women a strong foothold in the scientific profession and provide opportunities for further forays in the field of science and technology. This scheme allows women scientists to pursue research in frontier areas of science and technology.
Three categories of scholarship are available. They are as follows:
• Scholarship for Research in Basic/Applied Science (WOS-A)
• Scholarship for Research in S&T – based Societal Programs (WOS-B)
• Internship for the Self-Employment (WOS-C)
What is the eligibility criteria for each of the scholarship schemes?
Women Scientists Scheme (WOS-A):
– Women scientists with a post graduate degree, equivalent to M.Sc. in Basic or Applied Sciences or B.Tech. or MBBS or other equivalent professional qualifications, are eligible for this scheme. Maximum age limit for this category is 35 years at the time of submission of the application. The amount of fellowship for such candidates will be Rs. 20,000/- PM.
– Women scientists having a Ph.D. in Basic or Applied Sciences or M.Tech. or MD/MS, DM/MCH in Medical Sciences from recognized Universities can apply up to the age of 50 years. The amount of fellowship for such candidates will be Rs. 35,000/- PM.
– Age relaxation of 5 years is given to candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC and physically challenged category. Attested copies of supporting documents in this regard are mandatory.
-Preference is given to candidates who have had to take a break in their career due to family responsibilities. Also to Phd/equivalent degree holders. MSc/ equivalent degree candidates may also be preferred given their exceptional academic record along with research experience in form of publications, papers, dissertations etc.
The applications to this scheme are open throughout the year.
Women Scientist Scheme WOS-B: The scheme has two modes.
(i) Internship Mode- A special one year internship program has been designed for women with no prior experience in writing or implementing projects.
(ii) Project Mode- Women with a doctorate degree or a masters with adequate research experience and who are willing to continue the post doc will be considered for the project.
– The candidate must be an Indian national living in India and currently not employed on a permanent position.
– The candidate must be below 57 years at the time of applying.
– The internship mode is applicable to women scientists who have a Master’s Degree in life sciences/chemical sciences and physical sciences or mathematical sciences or Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering / Technology/ Medicine from a recognized University or equivalent but have no experience in project implementation/R&D experience. PhD holders having a 5 years gap after Ph.D will also need to undergo the internship.
– Women scientists who have a PhD Degree or master’s in science with adequate research experience and are either continuing to work as post Doc’s or have just attained their degrees will be eligible for project mode.
Women Scientist Scheme (WOS-C)
The objective of this scheme is to create a pool of women with a diverse experience and build professional network.
– Must be an Indian citizen with age not more than 50.
– Must be a graduate in technology/post graduate/Phd in science, medicine.
How can I apply for the (WOS-A) scheme?
A well prepared proposal – concise, stating the point and complete in all respects. Five copies of a typed application (on both sides of sheet) should be submitted in an enclosed format at the address given below.
Dr H B Singh
Women Scientists Scheme (WOS-A)
Department of Science & Technology
Technology Bhavan, New Mehrauli Road
New Delhi – 110016
E-mail: haribsingh at nic dot in
Phone No: 011-26590273